Followers

Wednesday 18 July 2012

Being a little bit selfish


I was watching the film ”The Devil Wears Prada” with my housemate over a couple bottles of wine, and there is this point in the film that really resonated with me. Anne Hathaway chose to go to Paris over the other assistant, played by Emily Blunt, who was meant to go.  It made me wonder if I would take an opportunity over a friend/colleague who was expecting to be chosen for it, and the only answer I could come up with at the time was yes, yes I would. I would be very sorry for my friend who didn't get the opportunity, and who would probably resent me for it for years to come, but if it gave me a chance to fulfil my dream and  to move forward in what I wanted to do why wouldn't I take the opportunity? I’d hope that my friend would forgive me in time, that they would understand that it's what I needed to do to further my career, and if they didn’t I guess I would have to ask whether we were ever really friends at all. I know that this make me sound a little bit mean, but I am in that place at the moment where any opportunity I may be invited to join, I'm pretty much going to take it no matter who I am likely to step on in the process, because it's time to start thinking about what I want to do in my life before my time has well and truly passed me by and I am truly stuck in a rut. I know it’s a rut of my own making, but maybe it’s time that I did think about me and what I want for a change, and to do that don’t I just need to be that little bit selfish and take that opportunity away from you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment